I was talking to my brother, David today. I had lent him a series of books that I have enjoyed, "Gregor the Overlander." This series is by Suzanne Collins who also wrote the "Hunger Games", but these books are for a younger audience and not as dark. David said that he had read all five books. Then Katy read them all and now Charlene was reading them.
The story takes place in an underground world with giant bats, giant rats and giant cockroaches. The cockroaches are actually some of the good guys. So I said to David, "doesn't it change your view of cockroaches? He laughed and then said that he remembers in our youth coming downstairs and finding drinking glasses turned upside down on the kitchen floor with a cockroach under them.
I then laughed because I was the one who did this. I can touch most bugs, but cannot abide cockroaches. So if I saw one, I would capture it under the glass. My mother would come down in the morning and she would pick up the glass. Then she would pick up the cockroach. I remember her putting it down the garbage disposal (ugh! gross!) and David remembers her pulling the heads off. Oh what good memories!
I guess that came from my mother growing up on a farm.
No comments:
Post a Comment